Monday, April 5, 2010

Hurrah ends in heartbreak Skirt, sunscreen and sadness


On Sunday — the city’s heroine number one. Rituparna Sengupta filed her match reports through calls and text messages during some strategic time-outs.

I have been wanting to go to Eden for a KKR match ever since IPL 3 began, but just couldn’t find the time. First I was busy shooting in Purulia for Anjan Das’s Bedeni and then I got busy promoting Mittal Vs Mittal.

But Juhi (Chawla) is a sweet friend and since it’s a Sunday and happened to be my day off, I decided to watch the match. Plus Sanjay (husband, who divides his time between Singapore and Calcutta) is here for the weekend so we decided to go together.

Sanjay was insisting that I wear jeans and a T-shirt but I opted for a printed skirt teamed with a tank top and a sleeveless denim jacket.

I didn’t want to wear jeans and T-shirt because I knew everyone else would wear that. Besides, a skirt is more comfortable and I can move around easily.

I have gone for a no make-up look, a little bit of sunscreen, a liner and a nice gloss — that’s the best bet during summers.

I make my way to the Club Lounge, where I meet (Anuranan maker) Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, Dona and Sana, Rahul Bose, Juhi and her husband Jay, Harsh Neotia...

The atmosphere at Eden Gardens is such fun; everyone is so charged up and cheering. And its chock-a-block.

Sourav, Sourav! He is batting well, 7.8 is the run rate. Fingers crossed for KKR.

Oh no, Sourav’s gone.

It’s so disappointing. I had a lot of expectations from him. I was praying that he should not be out at least till the 10th over. It was a difficult catch, the ball was very low… it’s our bad luck.

Everyone expects a lot from Sourav, and since he played so well in the last match I was really expecting a lot from him. The mood inside the Club Lounge became sombre but that’s part of the game, I guess. I still have hope.

Go Gayle, go!

He is one of the most important batsmen for KKR. A lot of expectation was riding on him and he lived up to it. It was fantastic to watch him hitting one six after the other! What a wonderful innings!

A special word for Juhi. She is constantly cheering the team on and every time someone hits a six or a four she hollers “Superb”!

There are very few supporters for Kings XI Punjab in the adjoining enclosure. Every time they shout “chak de” we shout back “korbo lorbo jeetbo re” with great gusto. This is Eden. This is KKR country.

The mood is grim after Gayle is out. But 200 is a good score and I am confident that I will see KKR win.

Heartbreak. I am so sad. The match had begun on such a positive note. KKR winning the toss and choosing to bat, Sourav’s fours and then Gayle’s sixes. My expectations had doubled.

I think Kings XI Punjab were a brave lot today. They were desperate to win. They were daring. What a brilliant partnership between (Mahela) Jayawardene and (Kumar) Sangakkara.

Dona was very upset and Sana was so disappointed that I felt really bad for her.

Juhi’s son Arjun kept asking her, “Mamma, how many more runs do we need to win the match?” Shah Rukh seemed very preoccupied. He did see us, but we couldn’t talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment